February 18, 2017

Our History

The Woman’s Club of Central Kentucky, Inc. Est. 1894


The Woman’s Club of Central Kentucky (WCCK) was established in 1894 following the General Federation of Women’s Clubs at the 1890 ratification meeting in New York City.


WCCK contributed greatly to the cultural life of the community sponsoring prominent speakers and offering frequent musical and literary programs. Among many accomplishments, WCCK was helpful in establishing a University of Kentucky Dean of Women position, instrumental in naming the cardinal the official state bird, provided financial support for traveling libraries and support for a public library. The result of a memorial fund started by WCCK following WW1 resulted in the construction of Memorial Hall in 1929.


In 1966 WCCK purchased the Thomas Hunt Morgan property located at 210 North Broadway Lexington, KY. Following that purchase, WCCK’s philanthropic endeavors turned to preserving the historic THM home. By the turn of this century WCCK began to face the challenges of increased property maintenance and membership decline due to aging membership and changing times. In order for our Club to continue, we knew we had to make some tough decisions in order to move forward.


Our recent resolve for change, resulted in a partnership with The Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation. On September 29th, 2014, WCCK deeded over the property located at 210 N. Broadway. This partnership saved our Club as well as the historic Thomas Hunt Morgan House. WCCK is now able to focus its efforts on giving back to the community, rather than keeping the “roof” over our heads, (literally). Change is inevitable if one wants to survive. The Woman’s Club of Central Kentucky is returning to its roots, as it continues to transition back to a philanthropic organization.


In 2015/2016, WCCK recognized several organizations with charitable contributions of $300 each. These organizations included: God’s Pantry of Lexington, Wounded Warrior Project, Kentucky Cancer Connections, Mary Todd Lincoln House, Dry Stone Conservancy, Independent Transportation Network (ITN), Ronald McDonald House, and Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation. The recipient of the first $3500 grant was awarded to Natalie’s Sisters and was presented at our annual Style Show. We are honored to support these organizations and the impact they make in our community.


Our Objectives as we move forward are: To promote charitable and social endeavors, educational and cultural improvements, civic pride and unity among the women of Central Kentucky. To exist as a non-profit organization.


We invite you to join our dynamic group of women who are committed to carrying on the legacy and tradition of serving women throughout Central Kentucky.